What is TOPSoccer?
- TheOutreach Program for Soccer is a community-based program affiliated nationally with US Youth Soccer and locally with Lexington Youth Soccer Association designed to meet the needs of athletes with cognitive or developmental disabilities. Our goal is to provide a safe, fun and exciting atmosphere where athletes can learn and play this extraordinary game.
Who is eligible to play in the TOPSoccer league?
- Individuals with cognitive or developmental disabilities aged 4+. Disabilities might include but are not limited to: ADD/ADHD; Autism Spectrum Disorder; Down syndrome; Learning Disability; Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI); Developmental Delay; Vision or hearing impaired; Muscular Dystrophy; Cerebral Palsy.
What does the TOPS program in Lexington look like?
- Each season approximately 50 athletes, ages 4 and older with a wide range of cognitive or developmental disabilities, participate across three teams. Our overall team name is Blue Thunder. We have no paid staff and rely entirely on volunteers. Our volunteers serve as coaches, buddies, and/or on committees that assist us with fundraising, advertising, planning, or special events. Our league is made possible because of the generous support of many community organizations, businesses and individual donors. We have received major support from The Jerome S. and Grace H. Murry Foundation, the Children’s Charity of the Bluegrass, and Rod Hatfield Chevrolet/Chevy.
How much does it cost to play LYSA TOPSoccer?
- Registration is $25.00. The fee covers all KYSA and LYSA registration fees and insurance. We will provide each player each season, a shirt and one pair of socks. Shorts are provided if needed. Scholarships are available.
- Payment can be made online using the registration link.
- For paper registration, checks should be made out to LYSA TOPSoccer and sent to the address on the form.
- We cannot accept cash payments.
- For additional information contact the LYSA Registrar Lois Stephens at 859-361-5719 or the TOPS League Director Jessie Birdwhistell at 859-608-4160.
When does TOPS practice?
- TOPS holds a fall and a spring season. Practice is held on Sunday afternoons from 1 to 3 p.m. for one hour for each team.
- We do not practice on Labor Day, Memorial Day, or Easter weekend.
- Please check the Schedule section for specific dates.
- If you have registration questions, please contact the LYSA Registrar Lois Stephens at 859-361-5719.
- For other questions email them to email@example.com or call 859-223-5632. You can access the on-line registration system at https://secure.sportsaffinity.com/reg/index.asp?sessionguid=&domain=ky-topsoccer%2Esportsaffinity%2Ecom
Where does TOPS practice?
- During the fall season we use Field 3 (nearest the concession stand) at Masterson Station Park.
- During the spring season we practice at Kentucky Indoor Soccer and Sports at 404 Sporting Court in Lexington.
What type of volunteers do we need?
- Volunteer positions include coaches, buddies, and committee members that focus on publicity, fund raising, planning, and organization of the league. Anyone can volunteer!
What is a TOPS Buddy?
- Buddies work on the field with athletes who need assistance (either physically or cognitively). This could include pushing a wheelchair, guiding a player on the field, or just helping a player to stay focused and participating in practices and games. Buddies should be in middle school or older, have an open mind and willing to commit their time to the entire season. The commitment to attend regularly is very important because a bond develops between the player and the buddy very quickly. When players get used to a certain buddy and then they are no longer there, it is difficult on the player. A general knowledge of soccer is helpful but not necessary.
Where can I get information on how to volunteer?
- To sign up as a buddy, coach or committee volunteer online go to: Volunteer On-Line Registration
- Or call Janice Birdwhistell at 859-229-7670
- Or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An email confirming that we have received your form should be sent to you immediately upon completing your form. If you do not receive an email confirmation, please email Janice at the address listed above.
How can I find out if practices are cancelled?
- Rainedout.com allows you to receive email and text alerts to game status changes, like rainouts. To participate in this program, you can opt-in to receive an email or a text by following these instructions:
- Go to Rainedout.com, enter LYSAKY in the search box, and then click on LYSAKY.
- Follow the directions in the blue “Sign Up!” box. Be sure to check your junk mail folder in case your validation code does not appear in your inbox.
- That’s all there is to it!